This is a working document of resources we have found immensely valuable and use as a public place to collate these for other growth ventures. The resources are broadly classed by topic, and each comes with a rating out of 10 and a sentence or two why we recommend it.
- Venture Deals (book) - Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson. 10/10. A book on investment raising that is as thorough in covering important topics as it is concisely written. Absolute must-read for any early stage company heading into first fundraising (and will prove highly useful long thereafter).
- A Startup Takes Flight Series (article series) - Crunchbase. 8/10. A series of articles on important investment raising topics covered in a fairly thorough but engaging level of detail.
- Redefining Dilution (article) - TechCrunch. 8/10. A short-form article on raising capital, with a frame-work for thinking about dilution and creating value.
Intellectual Property / Patenting
- Patent Law and Strategy for Innovators and Entrepreneurs (online video course) - Jeffrey Schox / Stanford University. 9/10. Superb course that combines IP and patent theory with highly practical advice presented by a leading lawyer who has supported Facebook, Dropbox, Cruise and other growth ventures. Great for audio-only listening also.
- Slicing Pie (video - further detail available in associated book) - Mike Moyer. 9/10. A very simple and fair approach to divide and manage equity in startups. Every company should use this or a similar dynamic equity model from their absolute earliest stage.
- Australian Startup Structures (blog post) - Kunal Kalro. 9/10. A concise and good overview of different structures capable of holding company shares in Australia.